This year (2017-18), we have decided to move CIB-HKU Student Chapter a step further to better serve all members in our faculty as well as researchers in the building, architecture, engineering and construction management domain. This is intention is set up around three major objectives:
- To continue the communication platform by delivering appropriate information and messages through WeChat and Website channels;
- To provide a series of internal activities offered to all RPG students in our faculty as well as those maybe in Department of Civil Engineering, such as RPGs welcome party and social events, RGPs seminars and workshops, as well as RPGs experience sharing and farewell party, etc.;
- To organize a series of external activities with top Universities in Asia or maybe all over the world, such as Joint-U conferences, study trips or exchange activities to other universities, cooperation with CIB Student Chapters in Poly-U, etc.
1. Communication platforms operation
WeChat is frequently used in our daily life, even among international students. In setting up an official account, we believe, can aid in driving interests up, and facilitate easy and convenient information dissemination for our activities. Concurrently, all information will be updated on our official website. That way, non-WeChat users can obtain the information at their convenience. We will continue using the official website and WeChat platforms as major channels to deliver important messages to RPG students, and expand its influence gradually. After discussions within the student chapter, we decided to include the following messages that could be delivered to all the RPG students.
- up-coming conferences in related research areas, seminars, lectures, and similar academic activities in the CIB-HKU Student Chapter;
- reports on the activities our RPG students attended;
- awards, research grants, or scholarship that are available for RPG student to apply for;
- tweets and photos after each event to promote our CIB student chapter;
- articles or abstracts in top journals recommended by colleagues, or some front-end topics in related research areas;
- information related to the industry practice.
Scan to follow us on WeChat
2. Internal activities plan
To further develop ourselves as RPGs academically, and to enhance social cohesion, we are planning to organize some related activities in these regards internally. The first plan is related to the Postgraduate research seminar. Previously, we only organized one activity for senior students to share with their experience. The new plan is as follows: to organize at least two Postgraduate research seminars. One could be titled as “RPGs welcome party and socializing”, which provides a chance to let the new PhD student to know the senior students, and to let them talk to each other and share with each other. The other one combines a research seminar with a farewell party, dubbed “RPGs research seminar and farewell party”. This is a platform for those postgraduate students to share their research experience and for other students to say a proper goodbye. We are thinking about co-organizing workshops or seminars with the Department of Real Estate and Construction.
3. External activities plan
One major event here is to organize a study trip. We intend to start by connecting with top universities in China, such as Tsinghua University, Peking University, Chongqing University, and Tianjin University. The intention here is to facilitate academic exchange and research sharing, via seminars or workshops.
Another major external activity is the Joint-U conference with Poly-U and Shenzhen University. Next year, we will hold this conference in our faculty.
This is a brief version of the organizational structure, from which we can see the three main objectives of our Student Chapter.
As we can see from the detailed organizational structure, there are three sub-groups, and each will be in charge of one aspect to achieve the mission and main objectives of our Student Chapter.